Monday, February 16, 2009

Linq in Action, Toolbar

Last week I finished Linq in Action. It's a great primer on Linq: it covers Linq to Objects, Linq to SQL, Linq to XML and a bit of Linq to DataSet - i.e. everything ;) I read it from the start to the end and I assume this book isn't supposed to be read like this, because in the three main chapters (to Objects, SQL, XML) some basic queries are described again and again. Well, just turn that over :)

I really liked the chapter about Linq2Sql. It's so easy to use a database-access with Linq. Just make a connection and raise your queries. If you're working with small databases, take that. Although the Entity Framework has the favour of Microsoft, I hope, Linq2Sql will survive to make life easy.

In the book there are a lot of good examples going beyond the ordinary book-examples. For instance, there are performance-considerations in which cases Linq is significantly slower than "old style" for each and how to overcome the performance loss.

I read it in German - don't do that if you're tetchy in things of misspellings like me. If you're getting a paycheck for every found mistake like for a Knuth book, you will get rich :/

One thing I missed are ExpressionTrees. They are mentioned only in a small paragraph :(

And now a big discovery which I haven't seen in all the years I work with Win XP: "Symbolleisten". I accidently dragged my CVS-folder-link from my desktop to the top of the screen and released it. I never ever did that before. Now I have on the right of my desktop a toolbar for the CVS-DotNet-folder and on the left a CVS-ActiveX-folder. Fast access to the components :)

No comments:

Post a Comment